As we celebrate our nation's Independence today, there is another family that is laying to rest a young husband, father, son, and brother. His death was unexpected and tragic but in it we can remember some life lessons:
1. Seek forgiveness quickly.
2. Give forgiveness freely.
3. Never miss an opportunity to say "I love you."
4. Say "yes" to family outings, date nights, cuddles, spontaneous fun, and making memories even if you're tired, the house is a mess, or you don't feel like it.
5. Take pictures: of each other, of trips, of special events, relationships, favorite things but all the little things too. Record these little things and your daily life whether by journaling, scrapbooking or your favorite method.
6. Ignore each others annoying habits. They may be missed some day. Think of them as endearing qualities and eccentricities.
7. Laugh A LOT.
8. Have fun A LOT.
9. Don't be so serious. Act silly.
10. Never be to old too get on the floor with your children. Create memories with them. These doesn't have to be big moments, it can be simply reading with them before bed every night.
11. NEVER put work, whether in the home or out, before family.
12. Cherish and practice family traditions.
13. Celebrate the small things.
14. Ask yourself, "will this matter 10 minutes from now, 10 days from now or 10 months from now." Choose things that will.
15. Most of all, live, laugh and love today. Tomorrow may not be there.